Baby Proofing the relatives house at Christmas
Think safety when visiting family members this holiday season to avoid accidents with your young child. A few simple baby proofing steps can go a long way. Here are some tips.
- Call relatives such as Parents, Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles, or Siblings where you will be staying. Remind them to move all breakable items out of reach of children and to get ready.
- Bring along some portable safety items you may need. Outlet Covers, Corner Cushions, and Door Knob Covers are small items which can travel well. You relatives may volunteer to provide those items for you.
- Take a tour of the house/apartment when you arrive to look for potential hazards.
- Move houseplants out of reach. Many can be poisonous, and large pots could tip over.
- Make sure all medicines, hard candy, nuts, matches, etc. are placed safely out of reach or in a secure cabinet.
- Secure any fireplace implements
- Make sure all exterior doors can be locked or secured. This will eliminate any unwanted outdoor exploring.
- Temporarily move accessible cleaning supplies out of reach.
- Move all dangling blind cords so that they are out of reach. You can use a short string or twist tie to secure them to the upper part of the window blind/frame
- Babyproof the Christmas tree. See previous post.
- Lower the Toilet Lids and secure Bathroom doors to eliminate those water hazards.
- Bring some of your child's toys and books so they don't get into other things.
- Barricade stairways or steps if baby gates are not available.
- Move exposed or dangling electrical cords out of reach.