Child Safety News, New Products, Special Offers
Kitchen Safety for Kids
- Cook food on back burners whenever possible, with the pan/pot handles facing backwards. Children can grab them otherwise. Consider using a Stove Guard Shield.
- Keep knives and sharp instruments well away from the edges of counters when preparing food.
- Do not store knives in a butcher-block holder on the counter. Place them in a locked or childproofed drawer/cabinet.
- Keep trash and recycling in a secure location away from your young child.
- Remove small magnets from your refrigerator. They can be a choking hazard.
- Keep small appliances away from the edge of counters, and secure any plugged in cords within a child's reach.
- Keep your child out of the Kitchen when frying. Hot oils can splatter and burn.
- Keep plastic bags, plastic wrap, cleaning supplies and foil in baby proofed locked drawers/cabinets.
- Use place mats instead of tablecloths so your child cannot pull hot food or plates down on top of themselves.
- Do not hold a hot beverage when carrying your child, and place them towards the back of the counter when putting it down.
- Install an Oven Lock to prevent access by child. If the Microwave is within reach also child proof the door.
- Child proof Stove Knobs to prevent child tampering.
- Install a Refrigerator Latch.
- Cushion sharp counter corners or other exposed edges with foam cushioning.