The kitchen is full of potential dangers to your child. Many of these dangers can be avoided by using the proper baby proofing products and techniques.
- Keep your dishwasher latched at all times. Add the caustic soap only when you are ready to use it. By keeping your dishwasher closed with a dishwasher safety latch you will limit your child's access to knives, glasses, etc.
- Use the back burners on your stove, and turn the pot handles to the back. Install a stove guard barrier to thwart young hands.
- Use an oven lock to prevent access to the hot oven.
- Use cabinet latches at the under-sink cabinet if you store cleaning products here. Or move them to a higher out-of-reach cabinet. It is also important to use cabinet latches on all drawers and cabinets which contain knives, glass, sharp objects, plastic bags, seasonings, and liquor.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the Kitchen. Also make sure family members old enough to use the fire extinguisher know its location.
- Move all appliances to rear of counter and secure any dangling cords so that kids can't reach them.
- Always strap child into the high chair to avoid a potential fall.
- Keep all emergency numbers by the phone, including Poison Control.
- Use stove knob covers to prevent child use of stove top.
- Use a refrigerator latch to keep your child away from breakable objects, and objectionable food.
By following these ten guidelines you will have created a much safer environment for your child while they are in the kitchen. Along with giving yourself some peace of mind, knowing you have taken care of the potential hazards.