Here are some simple year round tips:
- Don't leave cleaning buckets unattended. Even those with a small amount of water pose a hazard to 'top heavy' toddlers, who could fall in and drown.
- Schedule cleaning during down times such as nap time, or when they are in day-care or school.
- Take out only the amount of cleaning product needed for the job at hand. Store the rest away securely.
- Immediately clean up any spillage.
- Avoid distractions or interruptions when kids are present. If you answer the door or phone, take your child with you.
- Keep all household products in their original packages. These include useful first aid information in the event of accidental ingestion.
- Install child proof locks on all cabinets that house cleaning supplies. Never assume a cabinet is too high for a curious toddler.
- Post the Poison Control Center phone number by all your phones: 800-222-1222