4 million poisonings occur each year, over half occur to children. Here are some tips to help eliminate the risks:
- Keep the Poison Control number 1-800-222-1222 on or near all your phones.
- Keep medicines and cleaning products out of reach of children and in locked cabinets.
- Always keep products in the original containers they came in. Children can get confused.
- Never put cleaning products, gasoline, antifreeze, or paint etc. in something you would use for food or beverages.
- Do not store food and household cleaners in the same cabinet.
- Never call medicine candy.
- Do not take medicine in front of children, they love to mimic adults.
- If you are in the process of taking medicine or using a cleaning product and need to answer the door or phone, take it with you.
- Grandparents should be sure to keep their medicine and vitamins where the grand-kids can't get to them.
- Keep items like cosmetics, perfume, cigarettes, alcohol and vitamins where children can't reach them.
National Poison Prevention Week is March 16-22, 2008. For more information visit www.calpoison.org