Here are a few safety pointers on temporarily baby proofing where you will be staying on vacation. If you will be staying at a Hotel or home which is not childproofed you can prepare a simple safety kit to take along wherever you go. The kit should include:
- A Safety Nightlight which is cool to the touch.
- Portable Electric Outlet Caps. While these are not always the best choice for your home, they are good for the road. Take enough for at least 10 outlets for a Hotel, and more if you are staying in an Apartment or Home.
- 2 or 3 Safety Door Knob Covers. In Hotels these can be used at the bathroom door to exclude your child from bathroom hazards. They can also be used to child proof the entry door to the room. If you are staying in a home they can be used at bathroom doors, garage doors, basement doors, etc.
- Cord Shorteners to wrap up electrical cords in baby's reach.
- A High-chair Safety Strap. For use in restaurants where the high-chair safety strap is broken or missing.
- A Poison First Aid Kit for accidental poisoning.
- Corner Cushions. For softening the edges and corners of coffee tables, and other protrusions or furniture.
- A Portable Pressure Gate. If you are staying at a home, a pressure gate could be a life-saver to block off problem stairways or rooms.
- Cabinet Latches. If staying in a home for an extended vacation you might want to consider a few cabinet locks for the most dangerous cabinet contents. You could use a Sliding Cabinet Lock which locks together two side-by-side cabinet handles or KidCo makes several adhesive applied varieties.
When you arrive at your destination, carefully check each room for hazards and install your safety devices. Remove all breakable and dangerous items and store them out of baby's reach. Move plants out of baby's reach, many are poisonous. Also check the smoke alarms and note where the fire exits are. Enjoy your vacation.